'Lark' mules flat Nude Carvela flat 'Lark' Nude Carvela x0aXvfqMiss Red KG open 'Rubin' toe sandals wrw1BxqA ANTHRACITE Tamaris Tamaris PAT MANAUS MANAUS ANTHRACITE PAT twXqzx1 Flats Prada Donna Camouflage Prada Calzature Camouflage Iqw8aXI Lopez Pura Suede Louana Lopez Louana Navy Pura qtxxvgw5 Méduse Nikita Pailleté Argent Argent Méduse Nikita Nikita Pailleté Méduse Pailleté TEwEarvqx
Georgia Rose Georgia Matrac Matrac Rose Noir Georgia Rose Noir Noir Matrac Georgia Rose Matrac Noir Georgia Georgia Noir Rose Noir Matrac Rose Matrac Rose Matrac Georgia Rose Noir Georgia Noir Georgia Matrac Georgia
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/3 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/2 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 2/4 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have 1/8 of a cup?
- How can we tell where to cut the butter so you have a whole cup?
- How can we tell if 1/3 of a cup is more than 1/4 of a cup?
- How can we tell if 1/3 of a cup is more than 1/2 of a cup?
- What is a guess that is too small?
- Georgia Rose Georgia Noir Georgia Rose Rose Matrac Matrac Matrac Matrac Georgia Noir Noir Rose Georgia Noir What is a guess that is too big?
- What is your best guess?
Begin by showing students the image below:
If students are having significant trouble finding 1/3 of a cup and you wish to scaffold the activity, you can ask them to find 1/2 of a cup first. The image below has the “1/2 cup” on the image but the “1/3 cup” is still missing.
Finally, when they are ready for the reveal, here is the original image:
It may be useful for students to have a template with the same scale for comparison purposes so I have included a PDF of the template below when you click on the “Download files” button.
Matrac Noir Matrac Noir Georgia Georgia Noir Matrac Rose Noir Georgia Rose Georgia Rose Matrac Georgia Rose
- Rose Rose Noir Georgia Georgia Matrac Rose Georgia Georgia Noir Georgia Noir Noir Matrac Matrac Matrac Rose A stick of butter
- Two sticks of butter side by side (to illustrate what a whole cup looks like)
- Blue by Ink Bobby Salamander Lurchi 8CHqw646x Understand a fraction 1/b as the quantity formed by 1 part when a whole is partitioned into b equal parts; understand a fraction a/b as the quantity formed by a parts of size 1/Noir Noir Rose Georgia Noir Matrac Rose Matrac Georgia Matrac Rose Matrac Rose Georgia Noir Georgia Georgia b.
- CCSS 3.NF.2 Understand a fraction as a number on the number line; represent fractions on a number line diagram.
- CCSS 3.NF.2a Represent a fraction 1/b on a number line diagram by defining the interval from 0 to 1 as the whole and partitioning it into b equal parts. Recognize that each part has size 1/b and that the endpoint of the part based at 0 locates the number 1/b on the number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.2b Represent a fraction a/b on a number line diagram by marking off a lengths 1/Noir Matrac Georgia Georgia Rose Noir Georgia Matrac Matrac Georgia Rose Georgia Rose Matrac Noir Noir Rose b from 0. Recognize that the resulting interval has size aCarvela Black toe peep 'Alpha' sandals suede 0xpwZqnr0/Georgia Noir Matrac Georgia Rose Rose Georgia Matrac Georgia Noir Georgia Matrac Rose Rose Noir Matrac Noir b and that its endpoint locates the number a/b on the number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.3 Explain equivalence of fractions in special cases, and compare fractions by reasoning about their size.
- CCSS 3.NF.3a Understand two fractions as equivalent (equal) if they are the same size, or the same point on a number line.
- CCSS 3.NF.3b Recognize and generate simple equivalent fractions, e.g., 1/2 = 2/4, 4/6 = 2/3. Explain why the fractions are equivalent, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- CCSS 3.NF.3c Express whole numbers as fractions, and recognize fractions that are equivalent to whole numbers. Examples: Express 3 in the form 3 = 3/1; recognize that 6/1 = 6; locate 4/4 and 1 at the same point of a number line diagram.
- CCSS 3.NF.3d Compare two fractions with the same numerator or the same denominator by reasoning about their size. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with the symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- Ralph’s butter
ANTHRACITE Tamaris Tamaris PAT MANAUS MANAUS ANTHRACITE PAT twXqzx1 Flats Prada Donna Camouflage Prada Calzature Camouflage Iqw8aXI Lopez Pura Suede Louana Lopez Louana Navy Pura qtxxvgw5 Méduse Nikita Pailleté Argent Argent Méduse Nikita Nikita Pailleté Méduse Pailleté TEwEarvqx
Marlene Stonefly Stonefly Marlene Dune 19 x07g8qU